I have been baking since a decade but off late I was not satisfied with the cakes I make from Maida. So I was in search of a whole wheat cake that is nutritious and healthy. Whatever cakes I had learnt in my baking classes were prepared using condensed milk. I wanted a recipe which is easy, does not need any fancy ingredients and can be made with ease.
I found this recipe on a beautiful blog, and it sounded so yummy that straight away I prepared it. It came out so yummy that half of it was gone before it cooled down. Every one simply loved it. I have followed the recipe as it is. The slight variation here is that I have used vanilla essence instead of cardamom powder. I replaced it as I preferred vanilla essence over the flavour of cardamom.
This cake is full of positive things like it has walnuts and dates, it does not need condensed milk and baking powder as well. Walnut is one of the healthiest nuts and must for kids in their diet. And this is an easy way to feed them walnuts. Dates are also considered to be wonder food.
This cake is so delicious that you better be prepared to cook a second batch. As first batch would disappear in no time.
Check out Pictorial Recipe of Eggless Whole Wheat Dates Walnut Cake below.
3/4cupGranulated Sugar(Take 1 tbspn less if you want less sweeter taste)
2tbspTutti frutti/Candied fruit
1cupWhole Wheat Flour(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 240 ml)
Soak dates in warm milk and keep it aside for 30-45 minutes.
Grind the dates to a fine paste along with sugar.
Add the dates paste and oil and blend it well. Or you can also add oil along with dates and sugar and grind it all at once.
Sift wheat flour and baking soda together and keep it aside. Now add wheat flour slowly and blend everything together. Add the tutti frutti, vanilla essence, chopped walnuts and give a quick stir.
Preheat oven at 180 C/360 F for 10 minutes. I had made 250 gms cake and it took 20 min to bake it.
Grease the pan with enough oil or use parchment paper and then add the cake batter. You can use square or round shape cake pan which is minimum 6 X 2 inch. Fill only half way.
Bake the cake at 180 C for 35 minutes. Check after 30 minutes by inserting a toothpick or a knife at the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, that means your cake is done or else continue baking for 5 more minutes and keep a watch on it.
Allow the cake to cool down for a while and then invert it and let it cool down completely. Then cut the cake into pieces and its ready to serve.
- Please note that the above pictures are of 250 gms cake. But the measurements above are of 500 gms cake.
- Measuring cup used, 1 cup = 240 ml
- This Eggless Whole Wheat Dates Walnut Cake needs no topping, icing or cream.
- The colour of the cake depends on the kind of dates you're using.I had used brown dates the one we use for tamarind date chutney.
- Do not use baking powder in place of baking soda for this cake or it will not have a soft texture. Only cut the cake once it has completely cooled down. It will give you clean pieces.
- You can add extra milk if you feel the batter is too thick to bring it to dropping consistency. I had added 2-3 tablespoon extra milk to get the right consistency. You can also add cinnamon powder or vanilla essence for flavoring.